Sunday, September 26, 2010

the search for "rosebud"

"Female reporter: If you could've found out what Rosebud meant, I bet that would've explained everything.
Thompson: No, I don't think so; no. Mr. Kane was a man who got everything he wanted and then lost it. Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost. Anyway, it wouldn't have explained anything... I don't think any word can explain a man's life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a... piece in a jigsaw puzzle... a missing piece." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/quotes

Citizen Kan was a movie that starts off with a news reel of Mr. Charles Foster Kane's life and his accomplishments and down falls. The movie really revolves around the last words of this newspaper tycoon "rosebud". Reporters go around asking former friends, wife's, and enemies about rosebud. These interviews lead to a flash back of Mr. Kane's life. as a man that got whatever he wanted there is one thing that he wanted but couldn't get, life with his mother and father.
The best movie ever made? Personally I think it was good but not the greatest. It starts off interesting and as the story goes on I found myself as bored as Jedediah Leland attending Susan Alexander's opera. As the story went on I started to get more interested and found myself looking for clues on who or what "rosebud" was. What got me thinking twice about how i would write this blog was when "rosebud" was reveled at the end. I can see how people can consider this movie as their favorite though it had a great ending.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely boring. I didn't start thinking about it until the end as well. Simply put, he just missed out on a childhood and wanted to be loved. That's what I got out of it. Starting off with the quote was a neat way to go. During the movie I thought it was pretty cool, you can hardly do anything with just one word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Vince, but you didn't explain why the AFI Discourse Community thinks it's the best film of all time :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually you explained very clearly what Rosebud means when you relate the sled with a life with his parents.

    But you are being too nice. Should be more sarcastic anyway.

    ReplyDelete