Friday, October 15, 2010

Don't Hate

In the article “Scott Pilgrim vs. the Unfortunate Tendency to Review Audiences”, the writer, Linda Holmes discusses how some film critics have been stereotyping their opinion of intended audiences for the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. She gives examples of various reviews from all over the U.S. that are all biased opinions about their dislike for the movie and depictions of what types of people would go see or enjoy this movie, like gamers and little boys. Linda supports her argue against all the biased reviews from the film critics by stating that she is not even part of the target audience that the reviewers are mentioning and she really liked the movie.

I see the major issue as the way these film critics are brushing off the movie with their biased opinions due to their hate or dislike for the movie. I think those sassy film critics should step up their game, reviewing movies with good intentions rather than tearing it apart, along with it’s so called “target audience.” I agree with Linda all the way on this issue, just because you hate a movie doesn’t mean you can hate on the people who like the movie or want to see it. I have not seen the movie, but it looks pretty awesome, and like Linda I am not a gamer, I’m not a teenage boy, I’m pretty sure I don’t have ADD and I have a life. My life heavily involves watching amazing movies, and this is one I plan on seeing.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with, Duong. Great title :-)

    Your position statement is great, Olivia, especially that last line. But why is it wrong to critique a film based on its intended audience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was just trying to say they shouldn't critique it in such a harsh or negative way based on the inyended audience because they were saying that ONLY little boys or gamers with no lives etc.. would see it or like it. They were just doing it in a way that gave people who weren't part of that group no reason to go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. That's the kind of clarification I like to see :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that it is short and sweet and to the point. For me, there are no bad movie. Just some films are better to watch then others. I know that sounds odd but for every movie that is made someone will like it or not.

    I have a friend, her favorite movie is "White Chicks" with the Wayne Brothers. That movie is so silly but it has something, a quality that she enjoyed.

    I think critiques get caught up in being over critical. Way to go Linda and Olivia for pointing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I don't think anyone should like White Chicks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I just now saw all these comments. Oh wow, White Chicks... eh its pretty funny. Especially the part where that big black guy is on ecstacy and is on the dance floor blowing a whistle.

    ReplyDelete