Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"In the end, we've lost this battle too"

The film “Seven Samurai" was filmed in 1954 in a Japanese village. It begins when a man overheard that bandits are planning an attack on his village when they know the crops are ripe. So like any other person he goes back to his village to inform all the other farmers of what he just heard. They then all turn to the one they trust the most, which is their granddad. The granddad tells the farmers to find, and hire hungry samurai so they can help the farmers fight off the bandits.

After a very long search, they finally find the samurai’s they needed, and try to teach them how to battle. After teaching the men how to battle they spend a lot of time planning their defense against the bandits. They prepare their village for attack by flooding the crops, and building fences all around the village, leaving one little opening. The opening being for the bandits to come in little by little, and as they enter, they get killed. The samurai’s plan is a success when the bandits finally come into attack. They have defeated the bandits. The samurai believe they aren’t the ones who won but instead the farmers are who won.

At the beginning I thought, holy cow how am I supposed to stay focused on a movie that’s longer than 3 hours? Well I actually did stay pretty focused, and I enjoyed it. As I read the article “The Hours and Times: Kurosawa and the Art of Epic Storytelling” written by Kenneth Turan , I have to agree with the New York Time’s Bosley Crowther when he states, “it is much too long for comfort or for the story it has to tell. We all knew they were farmers, so a lot of those scenes could have been taken out. Other then that I thought the length was just fine. I really like the fact that Kenneth Turan describes Seven Samurai “to unroll naturally and pleasurably like a beautiful rug, luxuriating in its elongation.” He also makes a really good point when he states, “It allows us to observe each of Seven Samurai’s many characters in the round, from every angle, to view them as individuals with their own back stories, philosophies, martial-arts skills, and reasons for being there.” I fell that I got a good understanding of each of the men. Overall I would like to watch this movie again, because I would go in with a whole different attitude, and actually try to understand everything.

1 comment: