Tuesday, November 8, 2011

“I’m walking on the wall. Now I’m upside down! La la la!”

“2001: A Space Odyssey” begins by showing the beginning of time. The film shows how the apes begin to evolve with their use of bones for tools and weapons. The film then goes forward into the future where you see people navigating around space. You hear speak of an epidemic on the Clavius base, which you later learn is a cover story as the Americans search for something. The venture to the moon is that of several humans, and one computer system, HAL 9000. HAL is a computer that is said to make no mistakes. The computer can talk to the humans and is programmed to portray the emotions that humans have. HAL believes he (though it is a computer and therefore an “it,” it has a male voice so I shall refer to it as “him”) must take over the mission and takes such drastic measures as killing off the humans. The film continues with Dr. Bowman’s fight against HAL and he continues his search on Jupiter, the search that only HAL knew about until he was terminated.


This movie was strange. I didn’t really understand most of it. It was like one minute you’re seeing a point but then it keeps changing. I’m not sure if I was supposed to be digging deeper, looking for some deep hidden meaning or not, but I kind of wanted to. Either way, it’s pretty crazy to see the technology imagined back then. While it’s slightly, disappointing that the technology isn’t that advanced today, I’m still slightly relieved robots aren’t taking over our lives. I can live without the fear of my MacBook deciding I can’t do my homework. Though, that might make a pretty good excuse for not doing it! Jokes aside, I didn’t really like this movie. It made me feel so weird. I began humming along to the music and making up songs for everything everyone did. (“I’m walking on the wall. Now I’m upside down! La la la!”) It sort of brought out the weirdness in me, which is pretty bad because I’m kind of weird to begin with.Thankfully, I watched the film in the comfort of my own home. Also, the length of the film was almost unbearable. I understand why it’s so long--the journey to the moon isn’t a short one! But, within the first half hour I was thinking, “Alright! I get it! The journey’s long! But, if I were in space, I think I’d be having a lot more fun than they are!” I don’t know. I don’t think I’ll be watching this film any time soon. A part of me really wants to, though, just to see if I can get a better understanding of it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure he had to keep showing people walking on the walls to remind people that they're still in space after the audience woke up from their naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! If this was Facebook I would "like" that comment!

    ReplyDelete